ASO Webinar: Weight Management for the prevention of Type 2 diabetes
Took place on 25 February 2021
In this webinar, we explored the impact of different weight management approaches on the prevention of Type 2 diabetes. We had an excellent line up of speakers including Professor Tuomilehto who led the world-renowned Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study, Professor Valabhji the NHS England National Clinical Director for Diabetes and Obesity, and Professor Le Roux who led the SCALE obesity pre-diabetes trial and uncovered some of the mechanisms of action of bariatric surgery. The talks were followed by a panel discussion including the authors and leading figures in obesity from the UK.
Confirmed Speakers and Panellists:
- Professor Jakko Tuomilehto, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Professor Jonathan Valabhji OBE MD FRCP, National Clinical Director for Diabetes and Obesity, NHS England & Improvement.
- Professor Carel Le Roux, Full Professor Of Experimental Pathology, School of Medicine, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Dr Carly Hughes, GP and Bariatric Physician, Fakenham Medical Practice, UK
- Dr Barbara McGowan, Professor of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Guys & St Thomas’s hospital, UK.
Novo Nordisk has provided sponsorship to the Association for the Study of Obesity (ASO) to fully fund all costs for the development of this webinar, including creation, organisation, production and administration. Novo Nordisk has had no influence on the content and full editorial control remains the sole responsibility of ASO. None of the speakers have received a fee for their participation in this webinar, and ASO has been fully responsible for engaging with participants.