North East Obesity Forum Meeting - Barriers to Health Lifestyle
18th October, 2017 - Newcastle University
Programme and speakers
Joel Halligan, PhD Student. “No more Sunday dinners: Welfare 'reform' and food insecurity in Northeast England”
Dr Susanna Mills, Public health specialty registrar and NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow. "Home cooking: Barrier or facilitator of a healthy lifestyle?"
Scott Lloyd, Health Improvement Commissioning Lead, Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council and
Andy Daly-Smith (via video), Senior Lecturer in Physical Activity and Behavioural Science, Leeds Beckett University
‘Pilot evaluation of a curriculum based pedometer programme in primary schools’
The North East Obesity Forum (NEOF) aims to promote contact between members of all organisations in the North East of England that have an interest in any aspect of obesity and its health and social consequences. Through such interaction NEOF aims to support research into the causes and prevention of obesity, and to promote action to reduce its burden. NEOF is a network of the Association for the Study of Obesity. It holds two meetings annually, bringing together national and regional perspectives. Attendance at these meeting is open to anyone with an interest in obesity, and may be of particular interest to researchers, clinicians, health services, local authority, public health, commissioners of obesity services, and academics.
The NEOF multidisciplinary committee includes:
• Dr Vicki McGowan, Newcastle University, [email protected] (Main contact)
• Laura Cutler, Newcastle University, [email protected]
• Louis Goffe, Newcastle University, [email protected]
• Samantha Mulholland, Newcastle Tyne and Wear NHS Trust, [email protected]
• Peter Wright, Gateshead Council, [email protected]
• Yemi Oluboyede, Newcastle University, [email protected]
• Suzanne Spence, Newcastle University, [email protected]
Twitter account @NE_ObesityForum
Tackling the food swamp from a community, third sector and council approach
April 2017 - Newcastle University
Community First Elswick - A group of local people that live, work or just have a passion for improving health and social issues in the West End of Newcastle. "Citizen leadership in improving the health of our community"
Steph Downey - #NoMcDondaldsKenton: Rule 6 Group. "Never forget, David did beat Goliath!"
Jamie Sadler - Food Nation managing director. "Developing the Food Newcastle Partnership"
Craig Blundred - Consultant in Public Health Newcastle City Council. "A council approach to food and obesity in Newcastle"
Weight Loss Surgery
October 2016 - Gateshead Civic Centre
Dr Yitka Graham - Senior Lecturer in Public Health, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Sunderland and Researcher in the Department of General Surgery at City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Trust who will discuss “Post-surgical experiences of weight loss surgery, what research tells us”
Mr Peter Small - Consultant Surgeon, Directorate of General Surgery, Sunderland Royal Hospital who will discuss “What can Weight Loss Surgery achieve and why are Referral Guidelines not followed?”
Prof Roy Taylor - Professor of Medicine and Metabolism, MR Centre, Newcastle University who will discuss “What can Weight Loss Surgery do to diabetes and other conditions?”
Maureen Boyle - Senior Specialist Dietitian (Bariatric Surgery) at NHS, Sunderland Royal Hospital who will discuss “Dietary issues for Weight Loss Surgery patients before and after surgery”
Debate: 'We need a sugar tax, NOW'
April 2016 - Newcastle University
Please read the report and find the presentations below.
We need a Sugar Tax Now! Dr Vicki McGowan - Post-Doctoral Research Associate - Health and Social Care Institute, Teesside University.
We need a Sugar Tax Now! Dr Shelina Visram - Lecturer in Public Policy and Health - School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, Durham University.
We don't need a Sugar Tax Now! Peter Wright - Environmental Health and Trading Standards Manager - Gateshead Metropolitan Council.
We don't need a Sugar Tax Now! Ali Barnes - Research Associate (Dietitian) - Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University
October 2015 - Teeside University
This meeting was attended by 25 delegates with 3 presenting speakers. Please find below the presentations and report.
- North East Obesity Forum Report
- Is the proliferation of takeaway food outlets contributing to unhealthy diet and obesity? - Dr Thomas Burgoine, University of Cambridge
- Wading through the fast food swamp - Peter Wright, Gateshead Metropolitan Council
- Takeaway engagement: Ways to bait the vendor - Louis Goffe, Newcastle University
April 2015 - Newcastle University.
This meeting was attended by 40 delegates with 4 presenting speakers. Please see there presentations below.
- The challenges and triumphs of working as a dietitian within mental health - Samantha Mulholland, NTW NHS Trust
- Mental health and obesity: A clinician's perspective - Catriona Gray, NTW NHS Trust
- Should we support adults with learning disabilities and obesity to lose weight? - Craig Melville, University of Glasgow
- The psychology of self-esteem in childhood obesity - Andrew Hill, Leeds University
Paediatric Obesity Revisited
October 2014 - Teesside University.