The South West ASO Network has been established with the aim of strengthening links and networks between all health care professionals and academics in the South West of England who have an interest in the management of patients with obesity and are actively involved in the provision of obesity services. Through this network we hope to share different examples of practice locally, enabling the development of evidence based weight management services and shared resources along with creating a forum for the discussion of cases, research and policies.
Our intention is to hold one to two meetings annually at different centres across the south west. Attendance at these meetings is open to anyone with an interest in obesity, such as hospital consultants, GPs, dietitians, psychologists, nurses, other allied health care professionals and support workers and academics. The South West Network contacts are Dr Isabelle Douek (main contact), Dr Rhodri King, Professor Jon Pinkney and Beth Greenslade.
South West ASO COMS Meeting
Based on recent events and the rapidly evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to postpone the ASO South West network event that was planned for Tuesday 30 June.
We will be planning for a later date this year (depending how the situation develops) and we are able to ensure the health and safety of our Speakers and guests.
We have not taken this decision lightly as this is hugely disappointing for all of us. We recognise that we are responding to the bigger picture of protecting healthcare professionals, the vulnerable and the general public from COVID-19, and to prevent the spread of the virus.
We appreciate your understanding during this uncertain time.
Tuesday 30 June 2020 - Meeting Postponed
Objectives of meeting:
- Updates from Tier 3 centres in the South West, sharing best practice
- Innovation groups to encourage networking for MDT members
- Development of regional guidelines e.g. post bypass hypoglycaemia
- Plenary lecture and case presentations
We look forward to seeing you at this meeting to share ideas and develop regional guidelines. We aim to spend the morning developing our services and resources across the region whilst the afternoon will feature a plenary lecture with discussion.
We will also have a session for case presentations in the afternoon. Please submit an abstract for consideration to Dr Amanda Stride [email protected]
February 2018 - Musgrove Park Hospital Taunton
- A patient perspective of the weight management journey - Maggie Clinton, Service User and Obesity Empowerment Network
- Obesity Empowerment Network UK - Maggie Clinton, Service User and Obesity Empowerment Network
- Weight management service evaluation: Hearing from the patient - Bronwen Royall, Trainee Clinical Psychologist, University of Exeter
- Complex medical comorbidities - Rhodri King, Musgrove Park Hospital
- Integrating physiotherapy into a weight management services - Chris Baker, Senior physiotherapist NDDH
- Evolution of the South Devon Level 3 service: Using community venues and self-referral - Dr Amanda Stride, Consultant Physician in Diabetes, Endocrinology and Obesity, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
- A psychology led weight management service - Dr Gail Bohin, Consultant Clinical Psychologist Gloucester
- Integrating psychology and dietetics: Outcomes and experience of the Understanding Eating Habits group - Amy Bull, Specialist Dietitian
- Group based interventions - Sarah Hind, Practitioner lead Weight Management Service, Plymouth Livewell